Damages Smoke Causes to Household Contents

smoke

When a fire happens, it is a huge shock. Luckily everyone is safe, but the damage is considerable. Smoke residue lingers long after the flames have been put out, causing permanent damage even in areas not touched by fire. Synthetic fabrics and porous materials like carpets can be permanently stained. Metal surfaces corrode and tarnish quickly.

Electronics

Electronics can be severely damaged by smoke. The smoke particles can melt components, causing them to short-circuit and potentially create a fire hazard. Smoke can also contaminate electronic devices with toxic chemicals. Wet smoke from smoldering low-heat fires that burn plastic and rubber produces a thick coating of soot and a strong odor. This type of smoke damage can also discolor painted or varnished surfaces. Smoke can reach areas you cannot see, including HVAC venting and pipes. Soot pushed by smoke makes contact everywhere and with everything in its path. Soot contains acidity that destroys metals and causes discoloration or disintegration. This damage can be a problem even after the fire has been put out. It is important to call for professional restoration companies Denver and advice after a fire.

Upholstery

When smoke damages the walls of your home, it also can affect your carpets, curtains, and furniture. It is because the particles and odor get caught in these soft surfaces. These items can be cleaned if you act quickly after a fire. Smoke damage can also leave an acidic film on different materials and textures. It can cause pitting, corrosion, and degradation. It can be particularly harmful to metals and other materials prone to rusting and rotting. Prolonged exposure to smoke can lead to lung problems like asthma and bronchitis. It can also irritate the skin, eyes, and nose. It can be very dangerous for children, older people, and people with respiratory problems. The lingering smell can also lower the resale value of your home.

Carpets

After a house fire, the carpets in your home can suffer from smoke and water damage. Firefighters use water to put out the flames, which get into floors and the padding underneath. If your carpets are heavily damaged, they may need to be replaced. Smoke particles can seep into fabrics, wood, and other materials, causing discoloration and leaving behind a lingering odor. They might aggravate the skin and worsen respiratory conditions, particularly in kids. They can also corrode metals like pipes, and porous materials like ceramics can become permanently stained. It makes it critical to clean smoke damage as quickly as possible. The longer it is left untreated, the less likely your home and its contents will be salvageable.

Wooden furniture

Smoke damage can leave a sticky, greasy film on fabrics and impact porous materials like wood. If left unattended, this can lead to various problems, including stains that don’t come out easily and an unpleasant odor. Residual toxins can also be absorbed through bare skin and cause health problems. Porous materials and synthetics should be checked when the fire is out. If they are left unattended, they can suffer from irreversible damage. They may also be a breeding ground for mold and mildew, aggravating breathing problems in people with asthma or other lung issues. Smoke damage can also impact metals; if they are not cleaned quickly, they can rust and corrode. They should be cleaned with the right cleaning products and methods.

Paintings

Paintings can sustain serious damage from smoke. Typically, the pigments in paintings become discolored and lose their vibrancy. Often, cigarette smoke is to blame for this discoloration; tobacco fumes attach themselves to the paint and cause the colors to fade over time. As mentioned, cigarette smoke can also stain fabrics like curtains and bedding. It’s important to have the proper cleaning agents to clean these items properly and quickly. Smoke can be invasive and creep into crevices, affecting HVAC vents, electrical sockets, and furniture. It can even corrode metals. Residual smokers can also affect the resale value of your home. It can turn away buyers, especially those who are not smokers. Also, the lingering odor can be off-putting to nonsmokers. It can take months to eliminate the smell; sometimes, it never does.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *